PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Regis (Mass.) Pride women's tennis team suffered its first defeat this season, falling to Johnson & Wales University 8-1 Thursday at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales (2-0) got out to a good start by taking number one and two doubles. Morgan Thompson (Fargo, ND) and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) cruised to an 8-1 victory at number one. The two and three courts were more competitive but it were the Wildcats who walked out of doubles play with three wins. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) partnered with Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) to win at number two by the score of 8-5.
Thompson and Cohen were the first two off the court in singles. Thompson beat Erica Murphy (Portsmouth, N.H.), 6-0, 6-1, on the one court while Cohen topped Jessie Lord (Fall River, Mass.) at the two by the score of 6-2, 6-0. Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) secured the team victory by beating Carly Scanlon (Canton, Mass.) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (8).
Regis (1-1) retakes the court on Saturday, Sept. 10 hosting Suffolk at 12:00 p.m. at the Regis Tennis Center.
Johnson & Wales is back on the court the same day when it travels to UMass Boston for a 10:00 a.m. contest.
Johnson & Wales 8, Regis 1
Singles competition (1,2,5,3,4,6)
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Erica Murphy (RC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Jessie Lord (RC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Ariana McCormack (RC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Katasha Jarvis (RC) 7-6, 6-4
5. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Carly Scanlon (RC) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Amy DiPace (RC) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
Doubles competition (1,2,3)
1. Morgan Thompson/Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Jessie Lord/Ariana McCormack (RC) 8-1
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Katasha Jarvis/Carly Scanlon (RC) 8-5
3. Emily Rice/Amy DiPace (RC) def. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) 8-6